Just Because

There are some things in life that are best done based off of detailed, strategic plans. Waking up one morning and deciding, "I want to be the next Google," is not something that will likely come to fruition just because you want it to. I won't even begin to go into the insanity of what it would take to compete directly with Google – besides, this post isn't even about marketing or business (I know… thank goodness).

There is something interesting, though, about the phrase "just because." Lately I have brooding over my reasons for doing certain things and trying to find the motivation to put my head down and go for it. Looking even deeper into my life and personality, I can quickly identify that this striving to have the best possible answer—and thus the best possible motivation (right?)—is how I have both justified myself in doing and NOT doing certain things. Before fairly recently, I never stopped to think about what that actually means to be so cavalier with my reasons for doing what I do.

Granted, it is important to have convictions of certain things in life and to allow those convictions drive you to positive ends. But is it so important to have a reason for everything? Maybe eventually, but not today.

"Just because" is what I have discredited or even ignored throughout my life because of it's assumed wistfulness and lack of direction. The reality is that I couldn't be further from the truth. If every one of us gave up doing all of the good things we do in life that didn't have some deep, thought-out motivation, can you imagine how selfish and lonely this world would be?

Doing the dishes for my wife just because I love her is a far better reason for doing them than determining that I will enjoy a happier marriage, at least for a few hours, than if I were not to do them. In that light, just because becomes that caring and more selfless part of my nature. Just because doesn't have to be persuaded or compelled to act. Just because is that piece of ourselves that ends up making the greatest difference to someone else.

I have my doubts and concerns about life, what I believe in and why I believe the way I do, but so does most everyone else. What I have done way too much of is allow those doubts to rationalize away my doing good just because. I guess then that I have some work to do to get back on track and start doing what is right and good just because it is right and good – no matter what I believe.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

You're so cute :). I'm so glad you're coming to this realization...better late than never right? :D. I'm sure we've had past discussions/arguments over this very thing, only I couldn't explain myself as good as you just did. Thanks! Now I have something to draw from in case you decide to switch gears on me. hehehe :D. I love you!

Oh, and I can't wait for the dishes to get done 'just because' you love me so much...even when I'm a snot :P. MWA!

Jenny said...

There you have it, the title to your new book, "Just Because"

I loved reading this. Great insight!