Random

This post is not in character with my typical style, but I was thoroughly taken aback by something yesterday and need to blog about it.

I've been a victim of a random act of the unexpected—the painfully unexpected. Let me put this into perspective…

When you repeat something over and over again and get the same result every time, it seems logical that you could expect that pattern to continue without interruption. For me, that expectation was with my microwave. I put in a mug of water, I push the button for the exact amount of time I always do, and I get out a perfectly warmed mug of water ready for hot chocolate.

Though there are a couple of variables that could adversely affect the expected outcome (initial water temperature, type of mug, etc), once these variables have been accounted for, the outcome should be a no-brainer—especially when the EXACT procedure was performed just hours earlier.

Not so, apparently.

So, I go and get my mug, my water, set the time, and start the microwave with the anticipation of enjoying a delicious mint chocolate beverage. The microwave magically warms the water over a period of a minute or so, and then beeps its customary beep to alert me that I'm just seconds away from liquid chocolate bliss. That's when things went terribly wrong.

I nonchalantly reached in, wrapped my index finger around the mug handle, and milliseconds later jerked my already blistering finger away from the mug in a yelp of pain. The thought of cursing briefly crossed my mind, but was instantly replaced by throbbing pain.

I ran my fingers under cool water for quite some time, all-the-while wondering what had just happened. I've touched hot mugs before, but never a hot mug handle. I can guarantee that none were ever as overwhelmingly hot as this one. It was like I had wrapped my finger around the heating element of my oven. I've got the blisters to prove it!

What did happen? Was my microwave malfunctioning? Was the mug somehow harboring ill will against me? Was there some previously undiscovered metal in the mug that never manifested itself? WHAT?

I know, this is not that big a deal, but I got burned and I didn't deserve it!

There, I've said my piece. If anyone has a good explanation for what happened, I've got a finger that is looking for answers (and retribution…).

3 comments:

CK Rock said...

This looks like a job for Science Man! Theories: 1) Mug already pre-warmed from previous uses. 2) Power fluctuations from microwave. 3) Cup handle wet or damp.

None of these seem particularly viable though. I think I'd just blame the wrath of God. Have you mocked any bald prophets lately?

Anyway, whatever the cause, the solution is this: Cocomotion.

JR said...

I ran through those exact scenarios as I searched for my answer. The responses: 1) Clean mug, not previously used that day. 2) Very possible, as we're beginning to notice other things acting weird at random intervals in our microwave. 3) See answer to #1, and it was dry when I put it in there.

I gotta say that I'm loving your solution, Science Man. I'm going to be adding that to my wish list. Mmmmmm, hot chocolate....

Jenny said...

Loved the story. Not that I loved that you got hurt. The story just gave me a good chuckle.

We have a Cocomotion. Go for it! They are inexpensive and super yummy!