A Living Prophet

Like many of you, I am profoundly aware of the precariousness of our country's economic situation. Things are not going well, and with more (and worse) financial failures upon us than during the Great Depression we are faced with great risk and constant uncertainty.

As I read through more of the news about our world economy, I was reminded of an article written by President Gordon B. Hinckley titled "The Times in Which We Live," published in the January issue of the 2002 Ensign. I remember reading his words heavily laden with the weight of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I remember hearing them during different conference addresses.

Most specifically I remember these words:

"I do not know what the future holds. I do not wish to sound negative, but I wish to remind you of the warnings of scripture and the teachings of the prophets which we have had constantly before us.

"I cannot forget the great lesson of Pharaoh’s dream of the fat and lean kine and of the full and withered stalks of corn."


As I reflected back on these words and many others in that article, I recognized my own complacency and deep need for change. I had my testimony of the need for a living prophet strengthened. I felt the power of eternal truth.

"[I] thank thee, O God, for a prophet," for without whom I would be in the darkest abyss. I'm already in need of rescue from my own selfish chasm as it is, let alone be left without the light of the restored gospel.

0 comments: